5 Ways Coaching Heals Stress
Updated: Aug 6, 2019
As I have been sharing, I believe coaches are today's new spiritual leaders. One of the ways they do this is through the healing that transformational coaches offer those they work with.
Well, one of the reasons for this includes the realization that great coaching also heals stress and anxiety. And stress and anxiety often require a spiritual healing approach.
I can attest that my own coaches and coaching greatly helped me overcome an addiction to stress as a way of life. Trust me I thought anxiety was just my personality type. Maybe part of being Italian or from Jersey. Type A. Tightly wound.
Hear me out on this.
Stress really isn't just "part of life." Living with high stress leads to burnout, depression or even worse. And it's no small thing to address it.
As my mom would say, pretty much all the time, "Stress. They say it's the worst thing for you!"
"Thanks, Doctor Mom!" But, on this, Mom was right! Modern medical research shows that stress really is the worst thing for you!
Even Web MD reports the devastating effects stress has on us including
"43% of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
75% to 90% of all doctor's office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually."
Do you think we need ways to reduce and heal stress proactively? Ya think?! Sure, we can see a doctor. Load up on Advil. Drink more.
But, before you see a doctor or pop pills or load up on tequila, consider this one word; COACHING.
That's right: Great coaching effectively heals stress. Coaching opens a new and creative way to actively reduce and even relieve stress in a way most wouldn't consider.
Coaches do this by:
1. Creating space for people to be fully known – no matter what their position or status they lose the "alone" and isolation factors that often come with life and leadership. Coaches create ways not to be so all alone.
2. Offering a safe place for people to share their genuine stories with those who listen with real attention.
3. Letting people "get it out of their system" and "get off their chest" the key challenges, decisions or conundrums bouncing around their heads. They foster faster conclusions to things needing resolution.
4. Helping people discover where they want to go and finding clarity through the fog of life direction. Being lost or stuck is incredibly stress producing. Isn't it?
5. Helping replace toxic thoughts that wreak havoc on the brain, wreck the immune system and even ruin relationships. Bad thinking is bad!
Can you see how these five things are NO SMALL ISSUES?
Imagine the power of coaches bringing this kind of healing to companies, communities, churches and even families stress become significantly reduced or, better yet, healed?
Does that intrigue you?
Of course, your first step may be to seek out your own coach and healing experience. Lower or lose your personal stress. Work with a coach who sees coaching as a healing journey.
But you may also want to consider this. Can you see YOU engaging a vocation or practices that equip you to be a healer for others? Do you feel a call to that? Can you see yourself being or becoming a coach who heals souls while helping others achieve their dreams and goals?
If so, let me invite you to try this. Take this assessment if you haven't already: "IS COACHING FOR ME?"
Maybe you feel a tug and a call upon your own life to be a healer. Then at least explore leaning into coaching as a way of life or even as a way of making a living… by helping others find their life!
If you haven't already, be sure to take the free "Is Coaching For Me?" assessment.
And let's change this stress epidemic in our generation! What do you say?
101 views0 comments